Valentine’s Day – Each year on February 14th, many people exchange cards, gifts, candy or flowers with their special “valentine”. Did you know they day of romance we call Valentine’s Day is named for a Christian martyr and dates back to the 5th century? Saint Valentine is very busy, not only is he the patron saint of happy couples everywhere but people also call on him for interventions regarding beekeeping, epilepsy, plaque, fainting and traveling. Valentine’s Day was originally celebrated as a feast day. Many carry on that tradition by taking their loved ones out to eat.
If you are trying to do something special for your love on Valentine’s Day, you may be trying to find the perfect gift or plan the perfect night out on the town. Here are some great things to do in and around the Lake Norman, North Carolina area this Valentine’s Day.
Being on a lake, you’d expect there to be boating activities. Many companies are offering special romantic cruises for Valentine’s day in the area. A few of those companies include:
A date to the zoo is always a great idea, show your love the animal side in you:
- North Carolina Zoo is wonderful! It’s not too far for a day adventure either.
- Zootastic Park in Troutman is always fun and has some exotic animals to enjoy. You can even schedule private encounters with baby animals (like tigers, otters and lemurs – oh my!). Admission is only $12.50 for adults.
Special Valentine’s Events
Some special treats for this Valentine’s Day include:
- Charlotte Sympony Pops: A Symphonic Valentine. The Charlotte Symphony, conducted by Roger Kalia, presents this performance of romantic orchestral favorites and love songs from popular Broadway musicals and films. $25-$79. Feb. 13-14, 8 p.m. Knight Theater, 430 S. Tryon St. 704-372-1000.
- Charlotte Valentines Day Wine & Beer Tour Wine tastings and beer tastings. Feb. 14, 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. $69 per person. Departs from Uptown at 603 South College St.www.winemedown.com/valentines.html.
- Dining in the Dark: A Journey of Taste, Sound and Touch – Valentine’s Edition Good Eats and Meets presents this journey of taste, sound and touch. Enjoy a romantic evening with a special someone or come solo or with a group of friend. Dinner prepared by Chef Paul Verica of Heritage Food and Drink. For more information, visit www.eventbrite.com. $75 per person or $125 per couple. Heritage Food and Drink, 201 W. South Main. St., Matthews.
- Valentine’s Day Murder Mystery Dinner & Dancing. Elegant event at The VanLandingham Estate 2010 The Plaza, Charlotte, NC 28205 704-334-8909. Join the Charlotte Murder Mystery Company as an investigator to figure out ‘WHODUNIT?!”
- Cupid’s Celebration at Shelton Vineyards. Special tastings, reservations required. 286 Cabernet Ln., Dobson, NC 27017 336-366-4724
- Sweet Heart Carriage Rides – Nothing more romantic than an Uptown Carriage ride for Valentine’s Day!! Custom pick up. 100 N. Tryon St., Charlotte, NC 28204 704-301-5111
- Lake Norman Comedy Zone Valentine’s Show
- Van Every/Smith Galleries Art Show
If being physically active is more your speed, consider these activities:
- Take a hike at Lake Norman State Park in Troutman
- The Pit Indoor kart track
- GoPro race track
- Horseback riding at Latta Plantation (reservations recommended)
- Go Running! Here are two local events for runners this Valentine’s Day:
- Heart’s a Bustin’ 5K Trail Run
- Cupid’s Undie Run
Many people like to spend Valentine’s day is by their love out to eat someplace special. Some of the best restaurants in the Lake Norman area include:
- The Melting Pot (Huntersville)
- Carusos (Mooresville)
- Sushi at the Lake (Davidson or Mooresville)
- Big Daddy’s of Lake Norman (Mooresville
- Mickey and Mooch (Huntersville)
- Choplin’s Restaurant (Huntersville)
- Epic Chophouse (Mooresville)
- eeZ Fusion Sushi (Huntersville)
- Kabuto Japanese Steak House at Lake Norman (Cornelius)
- North Harbor Club (Davidson)
- Brickhouse Tavern (Davidson)
- Dressler’s Restaurant (Huntersville)
Picking up a special treat for your Valentine can really show her how much you care. Whether you want a cookie, cupcake or cake, some of the best bakeries in the area include:
Valentine’s Day would not be complete without flowers. Send flowers to her work or pick some up on the way home at:
- Lake Norman Flowers and Gifts
- Bella Grace Floral
- Artistry Florals
- Albertine Florals
If your loved one is under a lot of stress, and you want to help her unwind, consider sending her for a massage on Valentine’s day. Or, even take part in a couple’s massage. Some of the best places in the area to get massages include:
- Ahlara International Day Spa and Boutique
- Stonehaven Massage & Spa
- LKN Massage
- Serenity Now Massage
- Lemongrass Massage
Bed and Breakfasts
If you want to make Valentine’s day memorable, consider an overnight stay at a bed and breakfast. Some cute one’s around the lake are:
- Davidson Village Inn
- The Cedars Davidson Bed & Breakfast
- White Oak Inn
- Robin’s Nest Bed and Breakfast
- The Kerr House Bed & Breakfast
Romantic movies tend to be released right around Valentine’s day. Catching a movie is always a great way to spend this holiday. Some theaters in the area are:
Jewelry is one of the most popular Valentine’s day gifts. Give your loved one a piece of jewelry she won’t soon forget by visiting one of the local jewelers in Lake Norman.
- Your Personal Jeweler of Lake Norman Inc.
- Alexander Gregory Jewelers
- Brownlee Jewelers
- Signature Jewelers Inc
- R Gregory Jewelers
- Treasures on the Lake
Buy a House
Lastly, if your looking to do the extra special, consider putting down roots and buying a home together. The best realty company in town is Alford Realty Group. Contact them to set up appointments and find the perfect home for you and your Valentine this year.
Or, call them if you are ready to sell your existing home. They have very quick sell times and higher than average list to sell rates. You won’t want to chance it with anyone else. Contact them for a free consultation and find out what your home could bring in today’s market.
There are many Valentine’s Day Lake Norman Things to do. Learning about the different things you can do and buy can help ensure that this holiday is as special to your loved one as they are to you.